Simply click the hand to navigate through the landmarks on our tour or use the numbered map below to jump straight to a building for further information.
Royal Victoria Hotel.
We begin at the Royal
Victoria Hotel formerly the St Leonards Hotel. Neo-Classical colonnaded
terraces flank the hotel, which was Burton’s seafront landmark building.
The baths, which were between it and the sea, have been demolished.
Towards Hastings stood
James Burton’s original grand arched entrance gateway, called East
Lodge. The Council quietly demolished it in 1895. A small memorial stone
standing at the junction of Marina and Grand Parade now marks the site.