East Ascent and the extensive mews (now largely residential) behind it was the commercial and service area of the town.
At the top of East Ascent is Mercatoria, the original service area of Burton’s town. On the corner with Norman Road, was Lavatoria Square, where the washerwomen lived and worked.
Nearby, James Burton built the first National School in 1834 (now demolished). A new school was built at the top of Mercatoria in 1847 on land given by Decimus Burton.
Horse & Groom
Also in Mercatoria is the town’s first pub, the Horse and Groom. Built mainly for the benefit of the army of building workers that built St Leonards.
Please click a number below for more information.