On the corner of East Ascent stands a Burton Double Villa. This Double Villa was one of two villas that flanked the Assembly Rooms Only this, the East Villa remains.
East Ascent and the extensive mews (now largely residential) behind it was the commercial and service area of the town.
At the top of East Ascent is Mercatoria, the original service area of Burton’s town. On the corner with Norman Road, was Lavatoria Square, where the washerwomen lived and worked.
Nearby, James Burton built the first National School in 1834 (now demolished). A new school was built at the top of Mercatoria in 1847 on land given by Decimus Burton.
Please click a number below for more information.