This is where the Archery Ground once stood and was home to the St Leonards Archers, who were founded in 1833. Princess Victoria presented the Archery Club with a special banner in 1834 and the archers became known as the Queen’s Royal St Leonards Archers after she was crowned queen.
In the 1960s the grand villas on this land were demolished, the gardens bulldozed and the multi storey Hastings College was built. This brutal development amongst others prompted the formation of the Burtons’ St Leonards Society who have campaigned since their inception in June 1970 to conserve Burton buildings and promote quality town planning in the area.
The Mount is a crescent of 13 grand houses off Archery Road, built by Decimus Burton. The Crescent arcs around a central tennis court (originally an ornamental garden).
Burton Family Tomb
Looking towards the beach from West Hill Road you can see the old burial ground of St Leonards Parish Church. The Burton family tomb in the shape of a small pyramid is positioned in the middle looking out to sea. This is where the architect himself, his wife and several other members of his family lie.