Decimus Burton became a Commissioner of the new town in 1833. He leased a triangle of land bounded by Mercatoria, St John’s Church, Maze Hill and Kenilworth Road. Here he built The Cottage (now St Leonards Lodge), Maze Hill House (demolished), The Mount (13 houses), The Uplands (6), The Lawn (10), and a school (which became part of the College). Later, in Upper Maze Hill he built Baston Lodge, Tower House and Clone House (now Healey House). He gave some land in Mercatoria for a National School, and completed his father’s seafront terrace by building 72 to 82 Marina.
The popularity of St
Leonards was not lost upon the town of Hastings. It had already begun to
expand westwards, through Pelham Place and Wellington Square, and
further building began. The Eversfield Estate, from whom the Burtons had
bought land, saw the potential and it too began to sell off more space,
having obtained an Act of Parliament opening the way for speculative
builders beyond the Burton boundaries. As a result the area between the
two towns began to fill with properties. In 1875 the two towns merged
into the County Borough of Hastings, and by then the total seafront had
reached some three miles (4.8 km). Soon after that, the Warrior Square
and Upper St Leonards areas were being developed.