We begin at the Royal Victoria Hotel formerly the St Leonards Hotel. Neo-Classical colonnaded terraces flank the hotel, which was Burton’s seafront landmark building. The baths, which were between it and the sea, have been demolished.
Towards Hastings stood James Burton’s original grand arched entrance gateway, called East Lodge. The Council quietly demolished it in 1895. A small memorial stone standing at the junction of Marina and Grand Parade now marks the site.
Behind the hotel is the Masonic Hall, originally the Assembly Rooms, the centre of all social activities, where balls, concerts, public meetings and banquets were held. For the latter the food was prepared in the Hotel and brought across the road through an underground tunnel.
Originally flanked to east and west by a pair of graceful villas, only the East Villa remains.